Friday, January 2, 2015

SketchDaily 2 - "Turnip"

For today's Sketchdaily the suggestion was a "Turnip". I spent the first 24 years of my life believing that Rutabagas were Turnips. So I have painted (Acrylic with a back wash of blue watercolour) a Rutabaga. Rutabagas have yellow flesh where as Turnips are white (like a Radish). Rutabagas also have a more red tint to their skin where as turnips are a bit more purple (aubergine). I actually doubt that I have ever in my life had a Turnip, I don't know if they just don't grow here or if Rutabaga's were cheaper enough and similar enough that my mom bought them instead always.

I tried to get the white stem things on the bottom to show up, it didn't work very well, so I put the blue wash "behind" them which didn't help at all. I should have put a darker background down first. I goggled a few images of Rutabaga plants and they have very purple stems so I tried to make that pretty. I could have done a better job but didn't want to spend all day on it.


No comments:

Post a Comment